Author Topic: GeeXLab on Linux  (Read 4441 times)

3rdPix

• Zombie
    • View Profile
GeeXLab on Linux
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:18:39 AM »
Hi

I was hoping to mess around with GeeXLab on Linux, however I cant seem to get the menus to showup

i want to be able to quickly reload a file after I make some changes, and constantly having to change the sh script to load up the many different demo files is a pain.

Doing ./GeeXLab --help     dosent show anything

I can see references to switches like /no gui   /no menubar in the sh files

its probably very obvious but what am I not doing????

otherwise its an excellent program,and I think Ive got my head around the different files that make up a complete scene.

one last thing...    in all of the demos I couldnt find a single sample of a mouse click changing something
ive seen the mouse move /rotate the view  , but thats about it,  so if anyone can point me to a demo that takes a mouse click to change something, like a box from red to blue   , or whatever ,  please let me know

Regards

JeGX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geeks3D.com
Re: GeeXLab on Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
There is no menu in GeeXLab for Linux. It's a pure X11/Xlib app and coding things like drag and drop is a real pain and I didn't take the time to add these basic features in GeeXLab/Linux.  So to load a scene, you have to use a script file or the command line.

Now for the same scene, there is a tip I use very often: the live-coding. Particularly suited for the FRAME script.

The FRAME script must be saved in a file like frame.lua. Then load this script in the main XML with:

Code: [Select]
<script name="update_scene" run_mode="FRAME"
           filename="frame.lua"
           update_from_file_every_frame="1" />

Now, edit/save the frame.lua open with your text editor and every change is instantly visible in GeeXLab.

An example of such live-coding method can be found in the code sample pack:
gl-32/Live-coding-file-update/triangle_create_mesh_gl32.xml

For the mouse, this code sample can help you:
gl-21/drawing-points-with-mouse/demo.xml

or this one:
gl-32/gx-os/gxOS_demo_v1.xml