Author Topic: New Methods for Realistic Surface Rendering in Computer Games  (Read 5549 times)

Stefan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Methods for Realistic Surface Rendering in Computer Games
The surface of rendered objects in computer games often looks unrealistic. A new method creates much more realistic images, imitating the complex scattering processes under the surface.

Overturning cars, flying missiles, and airplanes speeding across the screen – on modern computers, 3D objects can be calculated in a flash. However, many surfaces still look unnatural. Whether it is skin, stone or wax – on the computer screen, all materials look alike, as if the objects had all been cut out of the same kind of opaque material. This is about to change: TU Wien (Vienna), the University of Zaragoza and the video game company Activision-Blizzard have developed a new mathematical method which makes surfaces appear much more realistic by taking into account light scattering which occurs below the surface.

At first launch the demo builds shader caches, so you can drink a cup of coffee.

nuninho1980

• NewsPosters
    • View Profile
Re: New Methods for Realistic Surface Rendering in Computer Games
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:27:53 AM »
I like this demo!! :D

Maximum (minimum?) and/or average is/are bug. :(

nuninho1980

• NewsPosters
    • View Profile
Re: New Methods for Realistic Surface Rendering in Computer Games
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
New demo v1.1 - fixed framerate issues! :D

I got running Win 8.1 x64 with i5-2500K@4.5GHz and EVGA GF GTX 780 Ti Classified 352.86WHQL (HQ):
min 269 fps
max 783 fps
AVG 518.28 fps
-- No any CPU bottlenecked despite "low" resolution as 1024x768 xD and my "old" CPU! :D

Try 1920x1080... But please you can test at 1920x1080 because 2560x1080 is invalid for desktop. ;)