Apple has updated its iMac line with new Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs and latest AMD’s GPUs: Radeon HD 6750M, HD 6770M and HD 6970M.
Here are the features of these GPUs:
- HD 6770M and HD 6750M: 480 stream processors, core @ 500-725MHz and 512MB of GDDR5 memory @ 800-900MHz.
- HD 6970M: 960 stream processors, core @ 580-680MHz and 512MB of GDDR5 memory @ 900MHz.
All these graphics cards support OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 1.1. But if I’m not wrong, OpenGL 4.x is not supported by Mac OS X (Snow Leopard). Only OpenGL 2 and OpenGL 3 APIs are available for graphics developers.
All new iMac comes with 4GB of system memory, a Core i5 CPU and 500GB/1TB hard drive:
- iMac 21.5-inch @ $1,119: Core i5 @ 2.5GHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon HD 6750M and 1920×1080 LED monitor
- iMac 21.5-inch @ $1,499: Core i5 @ 2.7GHz, 1TB HDD, Radeon HD 6770M and 1920×1080 LED monitor
- iMac 27-inch @ $1,699: Core i5 @ 2.7GHz, 1TB HDD, Radeon HD 6770M and 2560×1440 LED monitor
- iMac 27-inch @ $1,999: Core i5 @ 3.1GHz, 1TB HDD, Radeon HD 6970M and 2560×1440 LED monitor
More details and specifications HERE.
9 thoughts on “New iMac Come with Radeon HD 6770M and HD 6970M”
MacOS X 10.6 only support OpenGL 2.1 + a set of extensions providing all the feature of OpenGL 3.0 except GLSL 1.3…
A couple of OpenGL 3.2 extensions are supported too.
Hey guys, looking to buy one of these, I mainly do a lot of 3D animation with Cinema 4D so was looking to get a 21.5-inch: 2.8 GHz, i7 for the hypertreading option which Cinema 4D supports. Not really a tech head and a bit puzzled over the graphics card, do you think the AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB will run well with a graphic intensive programme like C4D or should I go for the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB? Am a broke student so want to avoid forking out for the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB unless i really have to! any advice welcomed, cheers H
@Christophe: thanks for the information!
@hujo: I think the 21.5-inch + HD 6770M should be fine for your needs.
MacOSX only supports OpenGL 2 really. OpenGL 3 is just supported partially which is truly sad considering any decent Windows/linux PC has GL 4.1 support.
LOL @ “Broke student” that can muster $1000+ for anything at all, hardly broke…lmao
I would be surprised if Lion didn’t upgrade the OpenGL support…
Not true. http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html
And Mac OSX bears Grand Central Dispatch technology.
No other OS had anything better.
And so ?
For some rendering whould you ‘push’ to the expensive 27″ models or a 21,5″ with top-of-the-line i5 is good enough ?
You will be fine with the cheaper card.
Comments are closed.