Audi R8: raytracing accelerated by CausticRT
I was disconnected from the matrix during few days and in this short lapse of time, a company called Caustic Graphics published some information about its new technology that is able to do real time ray tracing using a dedicated hardware, the CausticOne,
and a touch of OpenGL: CausticGL.
The sum of CauticOne and CausticGL gives CausticRT.
CausticOne is a raytracing graphics accelerator card that enables your CPU/GPU to render 3D imagery 20x faster than it can today. From what I understand, it’s a bit like Ageia PhysX PPU, it’s a card that performs ray tracing computations and the developer can fetch the results (via an API, CauticGL) and send them to the GPU (NVIDIA or ATI).
In its side, CausticGL is the API between your application and the CausticOne hardware.
Question: who will acquire this startup in the next months? NVIDIA?, ATI?, Intel? Wait and see…
- Start-up Caustic targets ray tracing for graphics
- Caustic Graphics Makes Ray-Tracing Realistic for Gaming
- Caustic Graphics develops ray tracing at gaming speeds
- Caustic Graphics @ twitter
- Une carte pour accélérer le Ray Tracing