DirectWrite and Direct2D are Windows Vista and Windows 7 APIs for text and 2-D graphics that can be hardware accelerated.
This is brand new code and there are sure to be bugs. If you'd like to help us test these changes and you're on a supported platform, please download the latest nightly build
and make these changes to enable the features:
1. Enter 'about:config'
2. Click through the warning, if necessary
3. Enter gfx.font in the 'Filter' box
4. Double-click on 'gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled' to set it to true
5. Below this, right click and select New > Integer to add a pref setting
6. Enter 'mozilla.widget.render-mode' for the preference name, 6 for the value
(To disable, set gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to false, delete mozilla.widget.render-mode, then restart.)