Developers may download it here
Release Notes - NVIDIA PhysX SDK 2.8.4
November 12th 2010
What's New In NVIDIA PhysX 2.8.4
* Discontinued the Training Programs.
* Added source code of NxTetra (tet-maker) utility to source distribution.
* Removed spin waits from sample code.
* Added API to permit the user to specify the order in which compartments are simulated.
* Added compression limits to cloth.
* Cloth simulation no longer performs prediction for kinematic rigid bodies for improved interaction behavior.
* New 'driverless' PhysXLoader for PC CPU distribution.
In 2.8.4, application developers must ship PhysXCore.dll, PhysXCooking.dll, the cudarXX_XX_X.dll and physxdevice.dll with the application 'locally', in the directory where the .exe is located:
o The application requests PhysXCore or PhysXCooking (v 2.8.4) from the PhysXLoader.
o PhysXLoader searches for another DLL called 'PhysXUpdateLoader'.
o If PhysXUpdateLoader is not found, PhysXLoader will load the local PhysXCore or PhysXCooking.
o If PhysXUpdateLoader is found, it looks for an updated replacement for the PhysXCore or PhysXCooking dlls.
o If PhysXUpdateLoader cannot find the specified replacement DLL, PhysXLoader will load the local PhysXCore or PhysXCooking dlls.
o If PhysXUpdateLoader can find the replacement DLLs, these will be loaded in place of the local PhysCore or PhysXCooking dlls.
* The net result is that the developer has more control over the game installation process, doesn't have to worry about shipping a large System Software with the game, doesn't have to worry that the player will break his System Software somehow, etc.
* Better rotation matrix input validity checking.
* Made Desc::isValid() more verbose.
* CUDA errors are now reported to the debug stream.
* Added extended scene statistics for GPU memory usage.
* Lowered the default GPU memory heap size to 32 MB from 128 MB. You may use NxPhysicsSDKDesc::gpuHeapSize to change how much GPU memory is allocated for physics.
* Disabled GPU acceleration by default. Clear NX_SDF_NO_HARDWARE to enable it.
* Corrected inertia and volume computation for capsule. For the same capsule dimension and density, the mass and inertia is slightly different compared to the previous release.
* The supported devices are the same as for PhysX 2.8.1 (see below), except that the AGEIA PhysX Processor (PPU) device support was removed.
* Enabled /arch:SSE2 compiler switch for all optimized PC builds.
* Optimized PS3 SPU Memory Manager
* Optimized AgPerfmon AgPerfUtils wrapper
* Optimized cloth simulation on PS3, XBOX 360, PC CPU
* Debugged PS3 SPU Memory Manager
* Fluids now collide properly when static shapes are removed or added.
* Fixed crash bug in character controller sample.
* Fixed a number of bugs in the HSM.
* In the event of a CUDA error (typically a failed launch or an inadequately sized CUDA memory heap), the NxFluid will not allow the addition of any more particles.
Known Issues and Limitations
* Please also see the previous lists from 2.8.3 and earlier.
o NxCloth::getShapePointers() no longer returns shape flags.
o Added methods to NxCloth and members to NxClothDesc to set compression parameters.
o NxCloth::setFlag() can no longer be used to change NX_CLF_BENDING_ORTHO, use flag in NxClothDesc instead.
o Removed NxFluidFlag::NX_FF_ENABLE_STATIC_FRICTION. Static friction is enabled by default now.
* Removed NX_SDKF_EXTENDED_DESCRIPTOR.
* Added NxPhysicsSDK::resizeGpuHeap() to allow changing the GPU heap size after SDK creation. See the GPU Memory section of the User's Guide for details.
* NxPhysicsSDKDesc::flags has NX_SDKF_NO_HARDWARE set by default.
* Added checkValid() method to descriptors that return an error code instead of the boolean of isValid().
* The experimental NxScene::simulateCompartments() method has been added. It gives more control over the order in which compartments get simulated.