Google Blockly: New Visual Programming Language
Here are the main features of Google Blockly:
- Execute in a web-browser. No downloads or plugins needed.
- Open source. Everything about Blockly is open: you can fork it, hack it, and use it in your own websites.
- Highly capable language. With the ability to calculate standard deviation using a single block, Blockly is not a toy language.
- Blockly in itself is not an educational platform. Blockly is an editor that may be used as part of an educational platform, or as part of a business suite, or as part of a gaming system, etc.
Google Blockly is a not a true new language: it takes its source from App Inventor:
How does Blockly relate to Scratch, App Inventor, etc.?
The short answer is that Blockly was influenced by App Inventor and App Inventor was influenced by Scratch. Rather than being a stand-alone program, Blockly is a code editor that can be embedded into a larger project. For more information, see the page of Alternatives to Blockly.
- google-blockly homepage
- FAQ – High Level
- Google Blockly – a visual programming language @ Hackers News
I quickly (…) tested Blockly in this demo:
Here is the code in Python:
Look at the difference between the simple Python code and the blockly visual code…
[ Subscribe to Geeks3D latest news by email ]