[Test] OpenGL Geometry Instancing: GeForce GTX 480 vs Radeon HD 5870
- 1 – Introduction
- 2 – Demo Pack Download
- 3 – Geometry Instancing Techniques
- 4 – Geometry Instancing Tests
- 5 – Quick Conclusion
5 – Quick Conclusion
- we understand why NVIDIA has called the technique using persistent vertex attributes Pseudo-Instancing (key F4). OpenGL glDrawElements() function is extremly fast and persistent vertex attributes require less overhead than uniforms to be passed to the vertex shader. Both coupled together give this performance boost. Very often, Pseudo-Instancing is almost as fast as HW GI. But Pseudo-Instancing is only fast on NVIDIA hardware.
- The benefit of hardware geometry instancing is mostly visible with few triangles per instance: 500 faces per instance seems a limit. With many triangles per instance, all techniques are similar.
- With many triangles per instance (1800 tri) and with many instances (100,000), NVIDIA drivers does not require much CPU power compared to ATI drivers.
Do not hesitate to comment this article and don’t panic if your comments are not quickly approved. I’m moving and I won’t be connected during the next few days. I’ll approve all comments as soon as possible!
See you later my friends!
Geometry instancing could help me for my move