How To Overclock Your Graphics Card for Free
Here is a quick overclocking guide. Basically, to overclock your graphics card (or speed up the graphics card), you need RivaTuner and FurMark.
The overclocking is achieved in two steps:
- 1/ GPU overclocking: increase core speed by 5MHz with RivaTuner and check stability with FurMark. Repeat until you see artefacts / glitches. At this moment drop speed by 5MHz until you don’t see artefacts anymore.
- 2/ Memory overclocking: set GPU core to default clock and overclock memory like you did for the GPU core.
- 3/ Apply both overclocking speed and check global stability with FurMark. Adjust settings if necessary.
There are two kinds of artefacts that can appear when clocks are too high:
- small dots: GPU core clock is too high
- large splashes: memory speed is too high.
This news shows a nice example of artefact with FurMark:
So, from the previous explanation, the squares you see on the furry donut are due to a too high memory clock.
- Tutorial: GeForce GTS 250 Overclocking + Artifacts in Video
- GeForce GTX 275: Overclocking With FurMark
- ATI Radeon HD 4870 Overclocking Guide