Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2: Prepare to Dominate
Sapphire is the first to unleash the power of the Radeon HD 4850 X2. The Radeon HD 4850 X2 aims to be positioned between ATI’s Radeon HD 4870 and Radeon HD 4870 X2. But the real goal is to compete with NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 280. ATI seems to have won the bet since from all tests, the HD 4850 X2 is correctly positioned. But due to the beta version of the Catalyst used in tests, some results might change as soon as the WHQL graphics drivers will be out.
Radeon HD 4850 X2 main specs:
- GPU: R700 (2xRV770) @ 625MHz
- Memory: 2048Mb GDDR5 (each GPU has 1Gb of graphics memory) @ 993MHz (or 1996MHz effective) / 256-bit
- Shader processors: 1600 (2×800)
- Texture Units: 80 (2×40)
- ROPs: 32 (2×16)
- Direct3D 10.1 and OpenGL 2.1
- Power connector: 2×3 + 2×4-pin PCI Express connectors (like the GeForce GTX 280)
- Price: around 420$US
Keep in mind that from a point of view of a 3D real time application, this Radeon HD 4850 X2 hasn’t 2Gb of graphics memory but 1Gb only. This is important.
And above all, a graphics card like the Radeon HD 4850 X2 makes sense with high resolutions (1920×1200 or 2560×1600). For low resolutions, the single GPU version is enough.
OpenGL test: Prey
This Radeon comes with a nice features: 4 DVI connectors. You can connect up to 4 monitors in a single graphics card.
- Sapphire HD 4850 X2 @ Sapphire Tech
- Sapphire HD 4850 X2 Video Card Review @ Hardware Secrets
- Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 2048 MB @ techPowerUp!
- Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 Video Card @ Benchmark Reviews
[ Subscribe to Geeks3D latest news by email ]